The association shall be called 'The British Association of Plastic Surgery Nurses' (Here-in-after called the association).
The objects of the association shall be:-
1. To promote the advancement of research / education for those interested in the nursing care of patients undergoing plastic, burns, reconstructive and aesthetic surgery.
2. To conduct and participate in conference meetings and study groups both at home and abroad to encourage travel, to extend and exchange ideas by arranging and facilitating visits.
3. To aim, to maintain a close liaison with “The British Association of plastic, reconstructive and aesthetic surgeons” (BAPRAS).
The association is open to all nurses registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC). The association is also available to associate members who are un-registered health care workers working in the plastic surgery field.
Officers shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
1. President / Chairman, Honorary secretary, Honorary treasurer should have served as committee members for a 3 year period prior to election.
2. All officers shall be eligible for re-election. An officer may be removed from office by resolution of the association at a general meeting. They shall there upon surrender to the committee, all books, papers, files, records, monies or any other property in their possession by virtue of such office.
3. The committee may fill any vacancy arising on the death or resignation of any officer, or in any other circumstance in which the officer is unable to continue. The person appointed should hold such office until the AGM next, whereupon they shall resign and if eligible may offer themselves for re-election.
The management of the association shall be:-
1. Deputed to a committee consisting of the officer plus 6 other members. The committee members must have been members of the association for a period of 12 months prior to election. Nominations to the committee must be received at the AGM only. In the event of a greater number of persons being nominated than there are vacancies, election shall be by a show of hands. The show of hands will be supervised and decided by 2 scrutineers appointed by the chairperson of the meeting. The decision of the scrutineers shall be final.
2. The committee shall have the power to fill any casual vacancy. The person so appointed shall retire at the next AGM, but may offer him or herself for re-election. The committee shall meet at least twice per year, to examine the accounts, and to arrange affairs of the association.
3. Minutes shall be taken of all the proceedings and be open to inspection by any member applying to the secretary. A quorum shall consist of 2 officers and 2 committee members.
Annual General Meeting (AGM)
The annual general meeting shall:-
2. All members shall be invited to attend and speak at such meetings and to vote on resolutions proposed thereat.
3. Receiving a report, balance sheet and statement of accounts for the proceeding year and an estimate of receipts and expenditure for the proceeding year.
4. Fill any vacancies existing in the officers of the association.
5. Elect the committee for the next year.
6. Appoint an auditor for the next year.
7. Consider and if thought fit, pass any resolutions proposed by any member.
Extra General Meeting (EGM)
The committee may at any time call an extra general meeting of the association at the request of any nine members who should state the purpose for which the meeting is required.
Notice and Procedure at AGM and EGM
Notice of every AGM and EGM shall:-
1. Be sent to every member at least 28 days before the date fixed for such a meeting, together with a statement of the business proposed to be transacted thereat.
2. At the AGM and EGM the chairman shall take the chair. In the absence of the chair a deputy shall be selected by such members of the committee present, at the hour appointed for the meeting to commence.
3. Every member shall be entitled to one vote upon every motion and in the event of equality the chairman or the deputy shall have the casting vote.
4. The chairman or deputy may in their absolute discretion permit or forbid the discussion of any motion proposed at a meeting of which no prior notice has been given.
The annual subscription for members shall be:-
1. Set by the AGM at the recommendation of the committee. All annual subscriptions shall be paid within 6 months of their due date. Anyone failing to pay will be removed from the membership of the Association.
2. Life membership shall be available on retirement at the discretion of the committee.
3. The funds of the association shall be in the hands of the honorary treasurer who shall open an account approved of by the committee. The honorary treasurer shall deal with the funds of the association in accordance with the direction of the committee and shall report to the committee thereon at each meeting.
4. The financial year of the association shall end on 30th April each year and as soon as may be practicable shall be audited by an accountant who shall be appointed as provided for and who may not be member of the association. The committee may fill a vacancy occurring in the office of auditor.
Expulsion of Members
No paid up member of the association may be expelled therefrom other than by resolution of a AGM
1. If at any AGM a decision is made to dissolve the association by a majority of members present, an EGM held not less than one month later will confirm this. At the EGM, a majority of two thirds of the members present must vote that the association will be dissolved.
2. The committee shall proceed to realise the property of the association and after discharging all its liabilities, any surplus assets shall be given or transferred to some charitable institution having objects similar to the association. Upon completion of such transfer the association shall be dissolved.
These rules may be altered or amended by resolution of a GM of the association provided it is carried by a majority of at least two thirds of the members voting thereon. Provided that no alteration shall be made which would have the effect of causing the Association to cease to be a charity of law.
Amendments of these rules may be proposed in writing to the chairman and secretary 28 days prior to the AGM, - who shall then circulate such amendments to al officers and committee members without delay for advice and comment.
All amendments under this rule must be seconded in writing by 8 other fully paid up members.
The BAPSN logo will not be used by any individual member of the association without prior permission of the association committee.
The decision of the committee upon any question of interpretation of these rules or upon matters affecting the association for which no provision is made therein shall be final and binding on all members.